background

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

JR HIGH




Jr. High.

AWESOME.

Middle School is, in my opinion, the PERFECT name for it. Lost somewhere in the middle of being a kid & being an adult.

Ohhhh goodness... God must have a sense of humor =)

When I was in high school I actually had in my head that I was going to be a middle school teacher or counselor. I was inspired because I had an awesome high school teacher, Mr. T, who invested in me spiritually as well as many other students, and encouraged me to a be a 'woman of God.' I saw so many of my classmates and friends fall into bad decisions and choose the world over God through those confusing 4 years of high school. And there were SO many times that I thought, if only they had that kind of investment and encouragement at the middle school age, when they are trying to figure out who they are. I had the desire to invest in jr. higher's like Mr. T had in me. However... come senior year of high school & into college, I completely wrote off that idea and hoped to pursue elementary age or younger (because I became OBSESSED with my first nephew, Colin, and wanted to spend all of my time with tiny little people just like him!)

God had different plans. He had placed that first desire and love for middle school aged kids in me for a reason.

Over the past 3+ years I have taught in 2 different schools - Crystal Cathedral Academy & Desert Christian Academy. At both schools God had opened the door for teaching Middle School English... and closed all other doors. It was a very direct leading. =) Last year as part of my schedule, I had to also teach 7th grade girls Bible class. I had no idea how in love with those girls & with that class I would become. I learned so much through those girls (and I hope they were able to learn some through me, as well.) But I have a new found passion for mentoring girls going through the awkwardness and awesomeness that is Jr. High.

Since we recently moved, and because it was so late in the school year & with a brand new beautiful baby girl added to our family, I have taken the year off of teaching to be a stay at home mom. I am loving every second with Mia, but am definitely feeling a void not having that day to day with my students. So I decided to embrace the passion for that age group that God has given me and have signed myself up with the Wed night Jr High youth group at our new church out here in Rocklin. It's funny... last week was my first night and I myself felt like it was my first day at a new school. It was Jr High all over again!! I was the new kid nobody wanted to talk to. It wasn't like teaching school where I have a built in role of respect & the kids WANT to know about their new teacher... for the first time I am having to earn their respect as a mentor and teacher. It's definitely different... and a challenge. But one I'm excited about =) I was not looking forward to another awkward "new kid" night as I drove to church tonight for my 2nd meeting, but prayed the whole way there for help and confidence. Tonight was already so much better & I am beginning to build relationships with the 7th grade girls small group I have been assigned to. I am so excited to get to that point in our relationship where they can feel comfortable enough to talk to me about issues they are struggling with & pray that God gives me the wisdom they need to hear. Love those girls. Miss my girls from my old school!

Ahhhh God is so good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Rachel! What a wonderful post! I'm so glad you were able to plug in with junior high schoolers again, sounds like you are so passionate about it and I know they are lucky to have you too. It's funny... as a junior higher, you don't think about how the leaders of the youth groups might feel awkward or intimidated (especially when they are new). You just assume that they are adults, so naturally they are 100% confident. Ha! It's an interesting perspective that you give. Good luck, and congrats on getting involved again!